Facebook, Instagram back after brief global outage
Published : 12 Oct 2017, 17:21
The services of Facebook and Instagram were restored after the social media platforms went down reportedly due to a global connection problem with Europe and North America, the worst affected by the fault.
As per a report in The Guardian, users of both social media sites began reporting problems late Wednesday afternoon. By evening, the number of reported problems had dropped to normal levels.
‘Earlier today, a networking issue caused some people to have trouble accessing Facebook services.
‘We quickly investigated and started restoring access within about an hour and we have nearly fixed the issue for everyone. We’re sorry for the inconvenience,’ a Facebook spokesperson was quoted as saying.
The report said the services on both website and apps were affected. Some users were able to access their accounts, with others suggesting only certain parts of the websites were functioning.
However, Facebook’s instant messaging service Messenger was unaffected.
The social media giant said it was ‘aware that some people are currently having trouble accessing Facebook and Instagram’.
The problems led to the hashtag #FacebookDown trending globally on Twitter.
Some users were greeted by a message when they tried to log into their accounts.
‘Facebook is down for required maintenance right now, but you should be able to get back on within a few minutes. In the meantime, read more about why you’re seeing this message. Thanks for your patience...,’ the message read.
Facebook, which acquired Instagram for $1 billion in 2012, has over two billion monthly active users. Instagram, meanwhile, has 800 million monthly and 500 million daily active users 200 million of whom use ‘Stories’ feature.
- Most viewed
- Mother, daughter found dead in Bogra
- Khaleda, Tarique directly involved in Aug 21 grenade attack: PM
- PM pays tribute to August 21 grenade attack victims
- 21 April Events
- 21 April Births
- 21 April Deaths
- Weinstein accuser Asia Argento paid teen who made sex assault claim
- Cabinet approves ‘Sarkari Chakori Ain, 2018’
- Pregnant New Zealand minister cycles to delivery ward
- Girls' supremacy finally over
- Saff U-15 girls eye more glory in final today
- Priyanka Chopra, Nick Jonas are officially engaged
- The 18th Asian Games got off to a glorious start
- U-15 girls take on Bhutan in SAFF semi
- SAFF U-15 girls reach final beating Bhutan 5-0
- Youth found dead at Chattogram hotel
- Huma Qureshi didn’t care about working with Khans
- Caned by headmaster, schoolgirl kills self