Singapore, Germany passports tie as world’s most powerful
Published : 19 Apr 2017, 16:48
Singapore’s passport takes top spot in a tie with Germany in a global ranking of the world’s passports.
Singaporeans can travel to 159 countries visa-free, up from 158 last year after Ukraine included Singapore to its visa-on-arrival programme.
According to the Global Passport Power Rank 2017 released yesterday, Ukraine’s revision placed Singapore in a tie with Germany.
In terms of individual ranking, however, Germany still edges out Singapore. German passport holders can travel without a visa to 125 countries and can get visa-on-arrival at 34 countries (adding up to total of 159). Singapore passport holders can travel to 122 countries without a visa, and visa-on-arrival at 37 countries.
The visa-free score is derived from the number of visa-free and visa-on-arrival travel destinations, with the former carrying a higher weightage.
Sweden followed in second place with a visa-free score of 158. Denmark, Finland, Italy, France, Spain, Norway, United Kingdom, South Korea and the US are in third place with a visa-free score of 157, which makes Singapore the most powerful passport to hold among Asian nations, followed by South Korea.
Malaysia and Japan are the other two countries that made the top 10, coming in at fourth place with a score of 156.
The Passport Index is developed by Arton Capital, a financial advisory firm specialising in investor programmes for residence and citizenship. — TODAY
- Most viewed
- Concerted efforts needed for haor areas
- NASA's Next Generation Space Telescope Plan Takes a Pause
- Regular Walking Can Help Keep the Brain Sharp in Elderly
- Recipe of Nihari Gosht
- Should I choose family over my boyfriend?
- Peya pairs up with Soham
- PM urges judges, lawyers to be more humanitarian to litigants
- Woman shot by police in London anti-terror raid
- 28 April Deaths
- World Bank, Amundi launch $2 bn green bond fund
- Cabinet Secy: PayPal to start soon
- Shomi Kaiser to run for FBCCI director
- 26 April Deaths
- Muslim teen wins right to box competitively in hijab
- Sonam Kapoor gets trolled once again
- New Gene-Based Blood Tests Can Detect Skin Cancers
- US supercarrier to arrive in Sea of Japan in days: Pence
- Shraddha Kapoor gets fiercer with age in new stills from ‘Haseena’ biopic