44 killed in India bus crash
Published : 19 Apr 2017, 16:58
A bus has swerved off a mountain road and plunged into a deep ravine in a Himalayan region of northern India, killing at least 44 people, an official said Wednesday.
The bus with 56 passengers on board plunged into a river in northern Himachal Pradesh state around 115 kilometres (70 miles) from the capital Shimla.
“A preliminary report shows that a private bus fell into a gorge and has killed more than 40 people. The latest report given to me shows 44 people have been killed,” Rohan Chand Thakur, district commissioner of Shimla.
Police rushed to the scene where rescue efforts were underway, he added. It was not immediately clear what caused the accident, or whether any of the survivors were injured.
India has some of the world’s deadliest roads with more than 150,000 fatalities annually due to poor roads, badly maintained vehicles and reckless driving.
In February, 16 people were killed and more than 50 injured when a truck carrying churchgoers overturned in a hilly region of northeast India.
Survivors said the driver was manoeuvring recklessly and lost control of the vehicle in the rugged terrain.
A month earlier 13 people-mostly children aged between seven and 14 were killed when a school bus collided with a truck in northern India.
- Most viewed
- Are smoothies good for your diet? Here’s what experts have to say
- Ending the option of carrying a child is about taking control of the body
- Facebook, Twitter not affecting face-to-face contact with friends
- Tinder’s new feature to give more power to women
- Why you can’t get enough of your favourite songs
- How asthma may affect your chances of pregnancy
- Recipe: Shahi Paneer, simply delicious
- Sara Ali Khan to make Bollywood debut with Ranveer Singh?
- ‘Descendants 3’ to be out in 2019
- Make everyday of your life Valentine’s Day with your sweetheart
- Invest in girls, women: UN chief
- Prime Minister to meet Pope today
- Man to die for killing wife in Netrakona
- Adore the feel of feminism with payals
- Oru Adaar Love special teaser starring Priya Prakash is out (video)
- ‘Saudi women should not have to wear abaya robes’
- 11 February Births
- Pahela Falgun brings colour in life