11 killed by attackers at child's birthday party in Mexico
Published : 14 Jul 2017, 12:17
Attackers wielding knives burst into a child's birthday party in central Mexico, stabbing and slashing to death 11 people, including two minors, authorities said Thursday.
Hidalgo state prosecutor Javier Ramiro Lara Salinas said at a news conference that the preliminary investigation suggested the attack in a house near Tizayuca, just north of Mexico City, was a "settling of scores."
Among the victims was a man with an ID identifying him as a Mexico City police officer.
Lara said the home's owner had served time on a kidnapping charge in Mexico State.
Authorities received a 911 call after midnight Thursday alerting them to the killings.
Officers discovered 11 bodies - seven of them female and four male, with two minors, state authorities said.
They had initially said the victims were seven men and four women. Four minors survived the attack without injuries.
None of the victims was shot. All were killed by knives or other cutting weapons.
The area had largely been spared the violence affecting other parts of Mexico.
- Most viewed
- Saudi women's fitness centre shut over 'indecent' video
- Teenage girl loses leg in Banani road accident
- India cabinet approves death penalty for child rape
- Ostrich chicks, gold ornaments seized in Satkhira
- Hasina seeks quick implementation of Commonwealth Declarations
- PM suggests making CW high-level group more representative
- Science Says: Amount of straws, plastic pollution is huge
- 3 resident students of DU hall brought back
- PM exchanges greetings with British Queen
- Barbara Bush 'in failing health' won't seek further treatment
- 1st female BD photographer selected for Joop Swart Masterclass
- PM to join Saudi-led military drill's concluding ceremony today
- Queen tips Prince Charles to follow her as Commonwealth head
- Spread history and legacy of Mujibnagar govt: Muna Tasneem
- PM calls for Commonwealth’s comprehensive reform
- Former US first lady Barbara Bush dies
- To soften image, Kim Jong Un turns spotlight to sister, wife
- Bollywood celebs protest to seek justice for rape victims