Suu Kyi’s award suspended by UK union
Published : 20 Sep 2017, 15:02
One of Britain’s largest trade unions has suspended an award given to Aung San Suu Kyi when she was a political prisoner, as international criticism mounts over Myanmar refugee crisis, according to a report.
Unison, the country’s second largest trade union, came up with the move as a number of British institutions say they are reviewing or removing honours bestowed on Aung San Suu Kyi during her campaign for democracy under Myanmar’s oppressive military junta, the report said.
- Most viewed
- SMEs’ contribution to economy huge: Speaker
- Virat, Anushka wed in Italy, begin new innings
- Bangladeshi arrested in New York after ‘suicide blast’ attempt
- Fresh is always better!
- ‘Dangal’ fame actress Zaira molested on flight; man held
- Speaker for forging unity to uphold human rights
- Muggers shoot woman in Tikatuli
- PM leaves for Paris to attend 'One Planet Summit
- 11 December Deaths