‘Miss Wheelchair World’ pageant seeks to change attitudes
Published : 10 Oct 2017, 17:11
A Polish organisation had held the first international edition of a beauty pageant for women in wheelchairs in an effort to change people’s perceptions about people with disabilities.
A woman from Belarus was the winner of the Miss Wheelchair World in Warsaw on Saturday evening.
The first runner-up was from South Africa and the second runner-up from Poland.
The event was organized by the Only One Foundation, which was founded by two disabled women seeking to break down barriers limiting disabled people.
After four editions of Miss Poland Wheelchair, the pageant on Saturday marked an effort to go global.
The organization says that every woman in a wheelchair has the right ‘to be whoever she wants and to feel beautiful.’
The city of Warsaw co-organized the event.
Source: CTV News
- Most viewed
- Saudi women's fitness centre shut over 'indecent' video
- Teenage girl loses leg in Banani road accident
- India cabinet approves death penalty for child rape
- Ostrich chicks, gold ornaments seized in Satkhira
- Hasina seeks quick implementation of Commonwealth Declarations
- PM suggests making CW high-level group more representative
- Science Says: Amount of straws, plastic pollution is huge
- 3 resident students of DU hall brought back
- PM exchanges greetings with British Queen
- Barbara Bush 'in failing health' won't seek further treatment
- Bollywood celebs protest to seek justice for rape victims
- 1st female BD photographer selected for Joop Swart Masterclass
- PM to join Saudi-led military drill's concluding ceremony today
- SSC results likely on 6 May
- Queen tips Prince Charles to follow her as Commonwealth head
- Spread history and legacy of Mujibnagar govt: Muna Tasneem
- PM calls for Commonwealth’s comprehensive reform
- Amorous couples, sex workers whipped in Indonesia's Aceh