‘Miss Wheelchair World’ pageant seeks to change attitudes
Published : 10 Oct 2017, 17:11
A Polish organisation had held the first international edition of a beauty pageant for women in wheelchairs in an effort to change people’s perceptions about people with disabilities.
A woman from Belarus was the winner of the Miss Wheelchair World in Warsaw on Saturday evening.
The first runner-up was from South Africa and the second runner-up from Poland.
The event was organized by the Only One Foundation, which was founded by two disabled women seeking to break down barriers limiting disabled people.
After four editions of Miss Poland Wheelchair, the pageant on Saturday marked an effort to go global.
The organization says that every woman in a wheelchair has the right ‘to be whoever she wants and to feel beautiful.’
The city of Warsaw co-organized the event.
Source: CTV News
- Most viewed
- Committee formed to implement 9th wage board for journos: Tarana
- Strong Coast Guard important for world maritime security: US
- PM urges developed countries to stand beside Bangladesh
- Canadian police say attack on girl who claimed a man cut her hijab ‘did not happen’
- ‘Zombie’ singer Dolores O’Riordan dies at 46
- Singer Shammi Akhtar passes away
- Indian girl dies after gang rapists rupture her lungs
- Do you check social media accounts of former partners? Beware, you may be micro-cheating
- You may be getting the portion sizes wrong