Indian folk singer shot dead after receiving ‘life-threat’
Published : 18 Oct 2017, 17:30
A 22-year-old Indian singer was shot dead yesterday on her way back home in Delhi after a performance in Haryana's Panipat.
Harshita Dahiya was shot six times in her neck and forehead and died instantly.
The singer, who specialised in Haryana folk songs, was returning to Delhi after a show at a village in Panipat. Around 4:00 pm, two men in a black car allegedly overtook her car and blocked it.
"A car overtook her vehicle near Chamrara village and forced it to stop," senior police officer Desh Raj told news agency Press Trust of India.
The men demanded that the driver and Harshita Dahiya's two companions, including another singer, step out of the car. They then fired seven times at her and escaped.
Harshita Dahiya had recently posted a mobile video on social media alleging death threats and had declared that she was not afraid. It is not known if she had alerted the police.
Reports suggest that the police suspect a gangster-related to the singer, who is currently in the Tihar Jail in Delhi. The gangster, Dinesh, is Harshita Dahiya's brother-in-law and the man she had accused of raping her in a police complaint in 2014.
Harshita's mother was killed the same year. She accused Dinesh, who was convicted and jailed.
Harshita was known for her Haryanvi 'Ragini' songs and was also a dancer. She had lived in Delhi's Narela for three years.
- Most viewed
- Katrina most popular actress outside India
- Zeenat Aman files rape case against a businessman
- High meat intake may up liver disease risk
- World Meteorological Day observed
- Player accuses Australia's AFL of sexism
- EU recalls Moscow envoy after blaming Russia over spy attack
- Pakistani woman lawmaker becomes opposition leader in Senate
- Playboy model apologises to Melania, says Trump tried to pay her after sex
- PM enjoys cultural show at Bangabandhu Stadium
- Jacqueline Fernandez gets into Madhuri Dixit mode
- Bangabandhu's 99th birthday being celebrated
- Govt efforts helped BD attain criteria to graduate from LDC: PM
- Bangladesh eligible for LDC graduation
- Magura man ‘kills’ wife for dowry
- 17 March Deaths
- Lawyers file to prosecute Suu Kyi for crimes against humanity
- PM pays tribute to Bangabandhu on his birthday
- Spring cleaning for your home – literally!