Indian folk singer shot dead after receiving ‘life-threat’
Published : 18 Oct 2017, 17:30
A 22-year-old Indian singer was shot dead yesterday on her way back home in Delhi after a performance in Haryana's Panipat.
Harshita Dahiya was shot six times in her neck and forehead and died instantly.
The singer, who specialised in Haryana folk songs, was returning to Delhi after a show at a village in Panipat. Around 4:00 pm, two men in a black car allegedly overtook her car and blocked it.
"A car overtook her vehicle near Chamrara village and forced it to stop," senior police officer Desh Raj told news agency Press Trust of India.
The men demanded that the driver and Harshita Dahiya's two companions, including another singer, step out of the car. They then fired seven times at her and escaped.
Harshita Dahiya had recently posted a mobile video on social media alleging death threats and had declared that she was not afraid. It is not known if she had alerted the police.
Reports suggest that the police suspect a gangster-related to the singer, who is currently in the Tihar Jail in Delhi. The gangster, Dinesh, is Harshita Dahiya's brother-in-law and the man she had accused of raping her in a police complaint in 2014.
Harshita's mother was killed the same year. She accused Dinesh, who was convicted and jailed.
Harshita was known for her Haryanvi 'Ragini' songs and was also a dancer. She had lived in Delhi's Narela for three years.
- Most viewed
- World Cup Pussy Riot pitch intruders jailed for 15 days
- 'I had to make my kidnapper fall in love with me': Chloe Ayling
- PM Sheikh Hasina opens G2P system for freedom fighters
- Theresa May accepts key amendments from hardline Brexiteers
- 592 rape incidents in six months
- 17 July Events
- 17 July Births
- 17 July Deaths
- Arrests after Indian woman gang-raped, burned to death
- Prime Minister visits Pabna today
- 11 July Deaths
- ‘We’re on top of the world anyways’: Croatia’s president
- Tigresses ensure participation of ICC World T20
- Bangladesh Tigress will face Scotland tonight
- France-Croatia to fight for World Cup 2018 title tonight
- What you should know about Croatian President Kolinda Kitarovic
- France crowned World Cup 2018 champions after beating Croatia
- No more ‘hot women’- FIFA wants fewer images of attractive female fans in stadiums