Indian folk singer shot dead after receiving ‘life-threat’
Published : 18 Oct 2017, 17:30
A 22-year-old Indian singer was shot dead yesterday on her way back home in Delhi after a performance in Haryana's Panipat.
Harshita Dahiya was shot six times in her neck and forehead and died instantly.
The singer, who specialised in Haryana folk songs, was returning to Delhi after a show at a village in Panipat. Around 4:00 pm, two men in a black car allegedly overtook her car and blocked it.
"A car overtook her vehicle near Chamrara village and forced it to stop," senior police officer Desh Raj told news agency Press Trust of India.
The men demanded that the driver and Harshita Dahiya's two companions, including another singer, step out of the car. They then fired seven times at her and escaped.
Harshita Dahiya had recently posted a mobile video on social media alleging death threats and had declared that she was not afraid. It is not known if she had alerted the police.
Reports suggest that the police suspect a gangster-related to the singer, who is currently in the Tihar Jail in Delhi. The gangster, Dinesh, is Harshita Dahiya's brother-in-law and the man she had accused of raping her in a police complaint in 2014.
Harshita's mother was killed the same year. She accused Dinesh, who was convicted and jailed.
Harshita was known for her Haryanvi 'Ragini' songs and was also a dancer. She had lived in Delhi's Narela for three years.
- Most viewed
- Must-take fitness resolutions for the Year 2018
- Deepika becomes a cop for a commercial
- Dhaka wants peaceful solution to Rohingya crisis: Sheikh Hasina
- British MPs approve landmark Brexit bill
- UN rapporteur determined to follow up thwarted mission
- 18 January Deaths
- 18 January Births
- Foods to gear up your metabolism
- Katy Perry in 'tough conversations' with her record label
- Mouth-related problems and their home remedies
- 'Govt will move ahead evaluating past'
- Suu Kyi says Rohingya mass grave investigation positive step
- Here’s what’ll tickle your palette in 2018
- Angelina Jolie dating Cambodian rapper-filmmaker
- Brooke Shields to launch apparel, accessories line
- Try some homemade hair masks for coloured hair
- Committee formed to implement 9th wage board for journos: Tarana
- PM urges developed countries to stand beside Bangladesh