Lawyers file to prosecute Suu Kyi for crimes against humanity
Published : 17 Mar 2018, 13:31
Lawyers in Australia are seeking to hold Myanmar’s de facto leader, Aung San Suu Kyi, directly accountable for the violent persecution of Rohingya Muslims in Myanmar.
The lawyers yesterday filed a private prosecution application against Suu Kyi in the Melbourne magistrates court, accusing her of crimes against humanity, Huffington Post reports quoting The Guardian.
According to the Huffington Post, a statement from the lawyers cited the “extensive and systematic crimes against the Muslim Rohingyan population by the Myanmar security forces.”
It added: “Suu Kyi has failed to use her position of authority and power, and, as such, has permitted the Myanmar security forces to deport and forcibly remove Rohingya from their homes.”
Before moving forward, the prosecution application would have to receive the consent of Australia’s attorney general, Christian Porter.
According to the Huffington Post, The Guardian reported it is unlikely Porter would consent ― Suu Kyi is expected in Sydney this weekend for the ASEAN Australia special summit, at the invitation of the Australian government.
Source: thedailystar/The Guardian
- Most viewed
- PM returns home from London
- 23 April Events
- 23 April Deaths
- 23 April Births
- Saudi women's fitness centre shut over 'indecent' video
- Teenage girl loses leg in Banani road accident
- India cabinet approves death penalty for child rape
- Ostrich chicks, gold ornaments seized in Satkhira
- Hasina seeks quick implementation of Commonwealth Declarations
- Bollywood celebs protest to seek justice for rape victims
- 1st female BD photographer selected for Joop Swart Masterclass
- Queen tips Prince Charles to follow her as Commonwealth head
- Spread history and legacy of Mujibnagar govt: Muna Tasneem
- PM calls for Commonwealth’s comprehensive reform
- Amorous couples, sex workers whipped in Indonesia's Aceh
- 3 resident students of DU hall brought back
- PM exchanges greetings with British Queen
- Husband kills wife for dowry