Merkel: G-7 summit with Trump was a 'sobering' experience
Published : 11 Jun 2018, 11:21
German Chancellor Angela Merkel found the contentious Group of Seven summit with U.S. President Donald Trump a "sobering" and "depressing" experience but said European leaders won't be "taken advantage of" on trade.
She conceded in an interview on German public television Sunday that the meeting's outcome "wasn't a great thing."
"I have spoken of a sobering experience, which for me is a lot," she added.
Merkel, French President Emmanuel Macron and the other leaders clashed with Trump over steel and aluminum tariffs as well as his decision to abandon a deal with Iran to limit its nuclear program.
The group managed a common statement in which they agreed to disagree on some issues, only to have Trump disavow the document in a tweet after leaving the meeting.
Merkel said that "taking it back by tweet was of course sobering and also a little depressing."
She said the European Union would "act" against the U.S. trade measures, which European leaders regard as going against the rules of the World Trade Organization.
- Most viewed
- Student, Trolled For Selling Fish, Donates Rs. 1.5 Lakh For Flood Aid
- Saudi feminists launch online radio
- Child passive smoking 'risk adult diseases'
- 16 nurses get pregnant at Arizona hospital
- The 18th Asian Games got off to a glorious start
- Girls' supremacy finally over
- Priyanka Chopra, Nick Jonas are officially engaged
- Huma Qureshi didn’t care about working with Khans
- Woman commits suicide after ‘stabbing husband’ in city
- Williams rebounds from worst loss to advance in Cincy tennis
- Sheikh Hasina to inaugurate 23 bridges, Fatehpur Railway Overpass
- BD beat Nepal 3-0 to emerge group top in SAFF U-15 Women’s championship
- U-15 girls take on Bhutan in SAFF semi
- Caned by headmaster, schoolgirl kills self
- SAFF U-15 girls reach final beating Bhutan 5-0
- Antibiotic resistance genes in air pose threat to human health: Study
- Nation observes National Mourning Day today
- Prime Minister pays homage to Bangabandhu in Tungipara