1000-handed idol of Durga
Published : 25 Sep 2017, 15:16
A thousand-handed Durga idol adorns a mandop at Syarpur in the district town as Trinayani Shivbari Puja Udjapan Parishad has made the arrangement for celebrating Durga Puja, the biggest religious festival of the Bangalee Hindus, starting tomorrow.
“One thousand hands have been placed with the main idol in such a way that if seen from the front, goddess Durga would seem to be standing with the large number of hands,” said Sreekanto Sutradhor, president of Trinayani Shivbari Puja Udjapan Parishad.
“With these thousand hands, the Goddess will remove all the evil forces from the society. This is our belief and expectation,” he said, adding that the 35-feet-high and 30-feet-wide idol is the first of its kind in Sylhet division.
Besides, statues of some 100 gods and goddesses have been made on the basis of the story of Satyajug and Chaitanya, as part of the puja arrangement.
Sculptor Prosenjit Paul Kango, who has made these idols, was seen giving the finishing touches at the thousand-handed Durga idol yesterday.
- Most viewed
- Have mushroom-rich breakfast to maintain healthy weight
- Fashion industry not real life: Claudia Schiffer
- Yuriko Koike who may become Japan's first woman PM
- Sushma Swaraj in city
- Full verdict commuting Oishee's death released
- Three young men beat elderly woman to death
- Hasina to Guterres: ‘Put more pressure on Myanmar’
- Sushma Swaraj arrives today
- 22 October Deaths
- 18 October Events
- 18 October Births
- Hillary slams Trump’s ‘dangerous’ war of words with North Korea
- 18 October Deaths
- Now Suu Kyi’s name removed from Oxford college common room
- Hair loss drug taken by Trump may cut prostate cancer risk
- Magura schoolgirl commits suicide
- Raped then beaten up for protesting
- Car bomb kills Maltese journalist who exposed Panama paper link