1000-handed idol of Durga
Published : 25 Sep 2017, 15:16
A thousand-handed Durga idol adorns a mandop at Syarpur in the district town as Trinayani Shivbari Puja Udjapan Parishad has made the arrangement for celebrating Durga Puja, the biggest religious festival of the Bangalee Hindus, starting tomorrow.
“One thousand hands have been placed with the main idol in such a way that if seen from the front, goddess Durga would seem to be standing with the large number of hands,” said Sreekanto Sutradhor, president of Trinayani Shivbari Puja Udjapan Parishad.
“With these thousand hands, the Goddess will remove all the evil forces from the society. This is our belief and expectation,” he said, adding that the 35-feet-high and 30-feet-wide idol is the first of its kind in Sylhet division.
Besides, statues of some 100 gods and goddesses have been made on the basis of the story of Satyajug and Chaitanya, as part of the puja arrangement.
Sculptor Prosenjit Paul Kango, who has made these idols, was seen giving the finishing touches at the thousand-handed Durga idol yesterday.
- Most viewed
- SC on Khaleda's bail in another Cumilla case Tuesday
- 25 June Births
- 25 June Deaths
- 25 June Events
- So, does Priyanka's mommy approve of rumoured boyfriend Nick
- Burgener wraps up visit to Myanmar; underlines accountability
- Hundreds of women march in Rio to demand legal abortion
- Blame to go to AL grassroots leaders if it fails to win next polls: PM
- Parted at US border by Trump policy, migrants seek their children
- Chicago lawyers walk in heels to end sexual assault
- AL announced a reception on July 21 for PM
- 68.5m people displaced worldwide: UN
- Keep it up, PM to women cricketers
- ‘Amar Sonar Bangla’ now in Belarusian language
- Tonu Killing: CID to get suspects’ DNA reports next week
- WB should support national priority of a country, WB ED tells PM
- World's oldest Sumatran orangutan Puan died
- New Zealand PM gives birth to baby girl