1000-handed idol of Durga
Published : 25 Sep 2017, 15:16
A thousand-handed Durga idol adorns a mandop at Syarpur in the district town as Trinayani Shivbari Puja Udjapan Parishad has made the arrangement for celebrating Durga Puja, the biggest religious festival of the Bangalee Hindus, starting tomorrow.
“One thousand hands have been placed with the main idol in such a way that if seen from the front, goddess Durga would seem to be standing with the large number of hands,” said Sreekanto Sutradhor, president of Trinayani Shivbari Puja Udjapan Parishad.
“With these thousand hands, the Goddess will remove all the evil forces from the society. This is our belief and expectation,” he said, adding that the 35-feet-high and 30-feet-wide idol is the first of its kind in Sylhet division.
Besides, statues of some 100 gods and goddesses have been made on the basis of the story of Satyajug and Chaitanya, as part of the puja arrangement.
Sculptor Prosenjit Paul Kango, who has made these idols, was seen giving the finishing touches at the thousand-handed Durga idol yesterday.
- Most viewed
- 10% pass in Dhaka University ‘Ga’ unit admission test
- Bangladesh least innovative country in Asia
- Seven-day skin care routine for lovely looks
- PM unveils ‘World Skills Bangladesh’ logo
- 2 hijras among 3 hurt in Savar gun attack
- PM leaves for London Friday en route to NY to join 73rd UNGA
- Bangladesh hand Lebanon 8-0 thrashing
- Instant triple talaq an offence in India
- Hasina, Modi to open Bangladesh-India oil pipeline today