Allison Janney picks first Oscar for ‘I, Tonya’
Published : 05 Mar 2018, 17:17
Actress Allison Janney took home her first Oscar in the Best Actress in a Supporting Role category for her powerful performance in “I, Tonya” at the 90th Academy Awards ceremony here.
She won the trophy for her role as Tonya Harding’s mother LaVona Golden in the biopic “I, Tonya”.
“I did it all by myself,” she joked in her acceptance speech, then paused for a moment before saying “that’s nothing farther from the truth”.
Her comment was met with a round of applause.
The actress, who looked elegant and stylish in a red gown, went on to thank the whole team of the film and important people in her life.
Janney, who exclaimed that she did not see this coming, thanked her fellow nominees and said: “You represent everything that is good and right and human.”
“Joanne Woodward, thank you for your encouragement and generosity that gave me the confidence to think I could pursue a career in acting. To my mother and father, Jay; my family; my family of friends; the staff. I love you,” she added.
She was in the race to win the coveted trophy with Mary J. Blige (“Mudbound”), Lesley Manville (“Phantom Thread”), Laurie Metcalfe (“Lady Bird”) and Octavia Spencer (“The Shape of Water”).
The 90th award gala was held her at Dolby Theatre on Sunday night.
- Most viewed
- New diabetes drug may help obese to reduce weight
- Daryl Hannah debuts as director
- Bodies of 23 plane crash victims arrive in Dhaka
- Cabinet adopts obituary reference for Priyabhashini, plane crash victims
- Housewife found dead in Rajshahi
- Husband kills 16-year-old wife in City
- SC stays Khaleda’s HC bail till May 8
- Janaza of dead Bangladeshis held, bodies to be brought back today
- 19 March Deaths
- FBHRO starts its journey
- Prithula Rashid, a life cut short
- Govt declares mourning day today
- Queen Boudicca: a tribal woman fought against Roman rule
- Jacqueline Fernandez gets into Madhuri Dixit mode
- PM returns home tomorrow shortening Singapore visit
- US-Bangla flight reaches Nepal with families of crash victims
- Schoolgirl stabbed in Chapainawabganj
- First injured Bangladeshi victim of Nepal plane crash brought to Dhaka