13 tips on how to prevent bad breath
Published : 19 Sep 2017, 16:15
Several factors, according to medical science, cause bad breath, which is known as halitosis. Are you suffering from one? The easiest way to find it out is to lick the inner side of your wrist, wait for five seconds and then take a whiff. If it smells bad then yes, you suffer from bad breath.
Poor dental care, pungent food and stomach ailments, among other things, often result in bad breath. However, there are home remedies to treat bad breath effectively.
Home remedies and treatment for bad breath
1. Use a tongue cleaner after you brush your teeth
Brush your teeth well twice a day. Floss after each meal or at least once daily. It may cut down on plaque, bacteria and food particles that causes bad odour. Bacteria and amino acids combine and form halitosis-causing compounds on your tongue and in your mouth. So, clean your tongue regularly with a tongue cleaner and eliminate bad breath to a great extent.
2. Rinse your mouth often
Rinsing your mouth helps reduce plaque and gingivitis. Rinse your mouth after every meal to freshen up your breath. You may add one tablespoon of lemon juice and a bit of salt in a cup of water and rinse your mouth with it. The acidic content in lemon prevents growth of bacteria and its pleasant smell helps mask the bad odour.
3. Keep your body well hydrated
Drink enough water and curb foul smelling bacteria development in your mouth. If your mouth remains dry and doesn’t have enough moisture to produce saliva, odour-causing bacteria start developing. Workouts can increase dryness in mouth. Dryness also occurs when you’re asleep. So, drink a lot of water the whole day especially before and after any exercise schedule and when waking up in the morning.
4. Choose the right food
Choose foods that fight odour-causing bacteria. A variety of fibrous fruits and vegetables, diet rich in vitamin A, D, E and B can solve the problem of bad breath by removing excess mucus and toxins naturally. Avoid eating bad breath-causing foods like onion and garlic. Acidic foods like vinegar and high-fructose foods like sugary cereals should also be avoided. You may chew fresh parsley sprig to refresh your mouth.
5. Use breath-sweetening herbs
Herbs such as fennel contain antibacterial properties and can complement to your dental care. It may not only cover up bad breath but reduce the amount of bacteria in your mouth.
6. Drink clove tea twice a day
Add one teaspoon of clove powder in one cup of water. Let it simmer for five to 10 minutes. Strain and drink twice a day until you get rid of bad breath.
7. Drink hot cinnamon tea
Cinnamon contains an essential oil that reduces the amount of bacteria in your mouth and covers up bad breath. Simmer a cinnamon stick in a cup of water for five to 10 minutes. Drink every morning and evening and see the results.
8. Drink green tea after every meal
Green tea contains polyphenols that may eliminate sulphur compounds and reduce oral bacteria. Drink it after half an hour of every meal.
9. Enjoy fenugreek tea twice a day
Simmer a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds in a cup of water for five to 10 minutes. Strain and drink twice a day and keep bad breath at bay. It is very effective when bad breath is caused by catarrhal infections.
10. Brush your teeth with baking soda
Brush your teeth occasionally with baking soda. It helps neutralise excess acids found in the oral cavity.
11. Avoid alcohol and tobacco in any form
Alcohol and tobacco of any form make the mouth very dry, one of the most common causes of bad breath.
12. Clean your dentures properly
If you are using dentures, clean it properly at least once a day.
13. Prevent mouth dryness with sugar-free products
Prevent mouth dryness with chewing gum and mints that are sugar-free. It may stimulate your salivary flow and have anti-cavity properties.
Don’t let bad breath take a toll on your self-esteem and health. Take good care of your teeth and breath. If home remedies don’t work, visit your doctor for proper treatment of offensive breath.
- Most viewed
- Magical good luck plants and trees for home
- Use potato slices to treat puffy eyes
- Jatrabari school teacher held over ‘sexual harassment’
- PM visits Rajshahi tomorrow
- Microsoft introduces Bangla version ‘Kaizala’
- President, PM pay homage to language martyrs
- Nation pays homage to language martyrs
- 21 February Deaths
- 21 February Births
- Open Access Movement for Open Data, Education and Research
- Woman who got attention by giving birth to 7 kids has died
- Jennifer Aniston, Justin Theroux separate
- Khaleda can’t run polls in present context: CEC
- At least 17 killed in US school shooting
- Housewife hacked to death in Sylhet, 2 held
- 21 women raped, assaulted on public transport in 13 months: Report
- Youth to die for killing Sherpur housewife
- Momena, Asmaul self-radicalised through internet videos: Cops