'My wife is my biggest inspiration'
Published : 30 Aug 2017, 19:15
The magnitude of the victory can best be understood by the fact that Shakib Al Hasan, one of the more guarded Bangladesh players, was in pethaps the most jovial mood that has been publicly seen when he collected the man of the match trophy at the post-match presentation ceremony after the 20-run victory over Australia in the first Test in Mirpur.
Shakib turned in a performance for the ages in both innings -- an 84 and five wickets in the first innings and more importantly, another five-wicket haul on the fourth day today, which started with Australia as overwhelming favourites.
During the interview, he took the microphone and looked at the Sher-e-Bangla National Stadium crowd and addressed them in bangla. He said: "That so many of you have come shows that you have real belief in us."
But he revealed an added inspiration, one much closer to home.
Later in the post match press conference Shakib was asked what the source of his greater than usual enthusiasm, not just today but even before the series started, was, the all-rounder said: "I have always said that my wife is my biggest inspiration. Last night when I talked to her I was saying that maybe it won't happen, because their two best batsmen were at the crease.
"She said 'I know you will win, you will take five wickets and you will win'. Now she messaged me saying that she can finally go to sleep," Shakib revealed.
"Also the fans. When other people have such belief in us, why shouldn't we believe?"
"My wife told me yesterday that if there is anyone who can win us this match, it is you," Shakib said with a shy smile.
So it was the love of country, the love of winning and his wife that gifted the nation a famous win.
- Most viewed
- Virtual or real? Fashion world split over digital supermodels
- Kenya lifts ban on lesbian film
- Prime Minister to address 73rd Session UNGA September 27
- 22 September Events
- 22 September Births
- 22 September Deaths
- Katrina Kaif’s character in ‘Thugs of Hindostan’ revealed
- 21 September Events
- 21 September Births
- 10% pass in Dhaka University ‘Ga’ unit admission test
- Bangladesh least innovative country in Asia
- Seven-day skin care routine for lovely looks
- PM unveils ‘World Skills Bangladesh’ logo
- Bangladesh hand Lebanon 8-0 thrashing
- 2 hijras among 3 hurt in Savar gun attack
- PM leaves for London Friday en route to NY to join 73rd UNGA
- Instant triple talaq an offence in India
- Hasina, Modi to open Bangladesh-India oil pipeline today