England's leading female Test run scorer dies aged 58
Published : 13 Sep 2017, 13:09
Jan Brittin, England's leading female Test run scorer, has died from cancer aged 58.
Brittin scored 1,935 runs in 27 Test matches, making five centuries in a 19-year international career.
She was part of England's World Cup-winning squad in 1993 and was the tournament's leading run scorer, with 410 in eight innings.
"She was a legend and a class apart," said Clare Connor, director of England women's cricket.
Brittin spent her entire domestic career at Surrey, and is still the club's leading female run scorer.
She top-scored with 48 in the World Cup final against New Zealand and took the winning catch.
"I was in awe of her when I first arrived into the England set-up," added Connor, who played for England and Sussex. "More than anyone else, the coaches included, I craved her respect and for her to think I could play.
"For girls of my generation, she was our first real female role model.
JB was born to play Test cricket and it's unlikely that her record in this format will ever be beaten."
The Surrey flag will be flown at half mast during the ongoing County Championship match between Surrey and Yorkshire.
Charlotte Edwards, who is England's second highest female Test run scorer, paid tribute to Brittin. Edwards opened the batting alongside Brittin in a Test against Australia in 1996, when Brittin made 146.
- Most viewed
- Canada to work for Rohingya women rights
- UN body’s request for report on rape of Rohingya women
- ‘The world needs to care’: Priyanka (VIDEO)
- 24 May Events
- 24 May Births
- 24 May Deaths
- Provide stipends among poor students properly: PM
- One lakh Rohingyas to be shifted to Bhasanchar: PM Sheikh Hasina
- Woman gives birth to world’s seventh ‘mermaid baby’
- Senate votes to confirm Haspel as CIA`s first female chief
- 10 Tips to Pre-Prep Meals for Ramadan to Save Time and Effort
- Ramadan Recipes: Baked Potatoes
- Royal wedding 2018: Finishing touches ahead of big day
- Kamala Bhattacharya: First female martyr in Bengali Language Movement
- Housewife beaten dead ‘by husband’ in Benapole
- 10 killed in Texas school shooting
- Housewife found dead in Panchagarh
- More than 100 killed in Cuba Plane crash (Video)