Baghdad suicide car bomb blast kills 32: police
Published : 02 Jan 2017, 17:14
A suicide car bomb attack in a densely-populated neighbourhood of Baghdad on Monday killed at least 32 people and left dozens wounded, police and hospital officials said.
Many of the victims were daily labourers waiting for jobs at an intersection in Sadr City, a sprawling majority Shiite neighbourhood in the northeast of the capital that has been repeatedly targeted.
Pictures posted on social media shortly after the explosion showed a huge plume of black smoke billowing into the sky and seriously injured people being evacuated.
According to a police colonel, at least 32 people were killed and 61 wounded in the blast, the second major attack in Baghdad in three days.
At least 27 people were killed by twin explosions in a busy market area in central Baghdad on Saturday, in what was the deadliest such attack in the Iraqi capital in two months.
There was no immediate claim for Monday's suicide blast but the Islamic State jihadist group has claimed all such attacks recently, including the double bombing on New Year's Eve.
The caliphate IS proclaimed in 2014 is shrinking steadily and jihadist fighters are defending Mosul, their last major urban stronghold in Iraq.
Observers have voiced fears that the group, once it definitively loses its status as a land-holding force, could increasingly revert to targeting civilians in Iraq's cities.
- Most viewed
- 'Unplanned Tourism Effects Biodiversity of Cox’s Bazar'
- French Dressing
- Cannes 2017: Aishwarya unleashes glamour in red gown
- Banani rape: Cops allowed for forensic test on mobiles of Shafat, Sakif
- Change Maker: Seven stand strong
- New Zealand space launch has nation reaching for the stars
- PM accorded warm reception in Saudi Arabia
- 5 suspected militants surrender to RAB
- 21 May Deaths
- Banani rape: Key accused Nayem Ashraf placed in 7-day remand
- Banani rape: Bodyguard, driver remanded
- Banani rape: Raintree hotel calls for justice
- Banani Rape: Key accused Nayem
- Banani Rape Accused: Shafat's bodyguard, driver arrested
- Qabooli Biryani
- Hillary Clinton announces post-election plans
- Univ lecturer fired for ‘raping’ student
- Israel’s first female sharia judge sworn in