Indian acid-attack bride finds love from a wrong number
Published : 26 May 2017, 21:12
Indian acid-attack victim Lalita Ben Bansi beamed with joy at her wedding near Mumbai this week.
"Who would have acid-attack thought an acid attack and 17 surgeries later I would find love. But it happened," she told the Hindustan Times at the ceremony in Thane.
She found her husband, Ravi Shankar, thanks to a wrong number.
The 26-year-old, who was attacked by a relative in 2012, said finding love felt like a miracle.
"Ms Bansi had accidentally dialled my number about three months ago. I called her back after 15 days," Mr Singh, 27, who works for a CCTV company, told The Hindu newspaper.
"We spoke and I fell in love with her voice. Our conversations continued on a daily basis and in the process, I proposed to her," he said.
During their chats, Ms Bansi had told Mr Singh that she was an acid attack survivor.
"But I told her I was in love with her and would like to get married. Many couples fall in love with their partners' face and eventually get divorced. With her, I am not concerned about her face. She is a sweet person. I wish God blessed us for a lifetime," he added.
Their wedding on Tuesday evening was attended by a number of Bollywood stars, including actor Vivek Oberoi, who met Ms Bansi at an event for acid-attack survivors.
The star called the bride "a true hero". He also praised the groom for loving her for who she is.
In India, it is estimated that there are 1,000 acid attacks per year, although many attacks are thought to go unreported.
- Most viewed
- Virtual or real? Fashion world split over digital supermodels
- Kenya lifts ban on lesbian film
- Prime Minister to address 73rd Session UNGA September 27
- 22 September Events
- 22 September Births
- 22 September Deaths
- Katrina Kaif’s character in ‘Thugs of Hindostan’ revealed
- 21 September Events
- 21 September Births
- 10% pass in Dhaka University ‘Ga’ unit admission test
- Bangladesh least innovative country in Asia
- Seven-day skin care routine for lovely looks
- PM unveils ‘World Skills Bangladesh’ logo
- Bangladesh hand Lebanon 8-0 thrashing
- 2 hijras among 3 hurt in Savar gun attack
- PM leaves for London Friday en route to NY to join 73rd UNGA
- Instant triple talaq an offence in India
- Hasina, Modi to open Bangladesh-India oil pipeline today