Create your own little heaven growing aromatic jasmine flowers
Published : 15 Mar 2019, 18:00
Jasmine flower with its lovely fragrance and pure white hue, emanates a presence that lightens everyone’s heart and soul.
The sweet fragrance in your front yard or backyard will create your own little heaven on Earth. Though jasmine looks fragile, you can enjoy the sweet fragrance day and night. The enticing fragrance captures the heart of the passersby too.
There are many popular varieties of jasmine. Some prefer warmer climates and bloom in the heat of summer. However, others are ever blooming and make great house plants with year-round blooms. Many jasmines are cared for like a sprawling shrub, there are vining varieties as well. Some varieties are scented and some are unscented. There are even some which are not real jasmines. Buy the original ones from a reputed nursery and choose the aromatic variety to feel mesmerized and blissful at home.
Primarily blooming in spring and summer time, jasmine flowers are known for their exotic fragrance and are widely popular to make hair adornments (gajras) and garlands throughout India. You can easily plant your own jasmine where you can enjoy it the most. Adore its scent in addition to the hypnotic view of colourful butterflies and humming birds which cluster around this flower due to its amazing attar.
Tips to grow a lovely lush green jasmine plant full of white beauties all around:
· Grow the plant in a pot, hanging basket or in garden. The soil can be any, good for potting or all-purpose. It should be kept moist and well-drained.
· Do not overwater this plant. During summer, let there be a good balance(of moisture and dryness) in soil between watering. Water less in the fall. In the spring and winter months, keep the plant a little dry.
· Keep jasmine plant in full sunlight during spring and summer season. In winter months, direct sunlight is not required. It can be kept in partial shade.
· Prune them immediately after they flower to give the stems time to develop growth for the next flowering season. Do not prune them before they bloom. Otherwise you will end up cutting off the buds and they will not be able to flower.
· When plant begins to put out new growth, start pinching out the top half inch of the stem by squeezing them between your thumb nail and finger. Pinching the tips especially in the first two years, promotes rapid growth and lush foliage. Pinch lateral stems as well as the main, upright stem.
· Remove any dead, damaged or diseased stems. This will help keep the plant looking neat and prevent the spread of disease.
· Remove tangled stems and old stems too that no longer produce flowers. Keep the stems free of masses of tangles. It will make it easier to take good care of the plant and improve its appearance as well.
· Remove the stems that are going away from the supporting structure to maintain a good shape.
Follow these suggestions and in turn, you will be rewarded with beautiful fragrant jasmines.
- Most viewed