Wasfia Nazreen among Emerging Explorers of 2016
Published : 16 May 2016, 17:28
Bangladeshi adventurer Wasfia Nazreen is about to be awarded again. This time she will be receiving National Geographic Society's prestigious Emerging Explorer award.
The National Geographic Society has announced its 2016 class of Emerging Explorers, a group of 13 inspiring individuals from around the globe whose unconventional thinking and innovations are changing the world for the better.
Wasfia Nazreen has been named among the 13 individuals.
The Emerging Explorers Program recognises and supports gifted and inspiring scientists, conservationists and innovators who are at the forefront of discovery, adventure and global problem solving while still early in their careers. Each Emerging Explorer receives a $10,000 award to aid further research and exploration.
National Geographic Emerging Explorers represent diverse fields; they may come from backgrounds as varied as anthropology, archaeology, photography, space exploration, earth sciences and cartography to the worlds of technology, conservation and the arts.
“For more than 128 years, the National Geographic Society has been committed to supporting scientists, conservationists and explorers who are pushing boundaries, exploring new frontiers and looking at innovative ways to remedy some of the greatest challenges facing our planet,” Gary E Knell, president and CEO of the National Geographic Society, said in its website.
“Our Emerging Explorers Program embodies this commitment and recognizes some of the most compelling leaders working in their fields today, leaders who will guide us into a new age of exploration.”
On May 26, 2012, Wasfia became the second Bangladeshi woman to scale the world’s highest peak. Before her, Nishat Mazumder had conquered Mount Everest.
Wasfia was the first Bangladeshi to scale the seven summits, concluding her climbs last year. In 2014, she was selected as a National Geographic Adventurer.
- Most viewed
- People suffer for countrywide transport strike
- HC halts gas price hike for 6 months
- SpaceX to send two tourists around Moon in 2018
- Reasons of post-pregnancy weight gain
- Humans spark most US wildfires: study
- 8 Dead, 30 Injured After Bus Plunges Into Canal In Andhra Pradesh
- 5 JMB men given death penalty for killing Kunio Hoshi
- 28 February Deaths
- 28 February Births
- PM urges brands, buyers to help overhaul garment factories
- Modern multi-storied food warehouse ready for opening at Santahar
- Gas price hike: CPB, BSD call hartal in Dhaka Feb 28
- President, PM pay tributes to Pilkhana martyrs
- Khadiza goes back home
- Sports village to be constructed at Padmar char: PM
- 82,000 tonnes winter vegetables produced in Narsingdi
- JU VC honored as first woman VC to public university
- Medical student killed in Dhaka road accident