Wasfia Nazreen among Emerging Explorers of 2016
Published : 16 May 2016, 17:28
Bangladeshi adventurer Wasfia Nazreen is about to be awarded again. This time she will be receiving National Geographic Society's prestigious Emerging Explorer award.
The National Geographic Society has announced its 2016 class of Emerging Explorers, a group of 13 inspiring individuals from around the globe whose unconventional thinking and innovations are changing the world for the better.
Wasfia Nazreen has been named among the 13 individuals.
The Emerging Explorers Program recognises and supports gifted and inspiring scientists, conservationists and innovators who are at the forefront of discovery, adventure and global problem solving while still early in their careers. Each Emerging Explorer receives a $10,000 award to aid further research and exploration.
National Geographic Emerging Explorers represent diverse fields; they may come from backgrounds as varied as anthropology, archaeology, photography, space exploration, earth sciences and cartography to the worlds of technology, conservation and the arts.
“For more than 128 years, the National Geographic Society has been committed to supporting scientists, conservationists and explorers who are pushing boundaries, exploring new frontiers and looking at innovative ways to remedy some of the greatest challenges facing our planet,” Gary E Knell, president and CEO of the National Geographic Society, said in its website.
“Our Emerging Explorers Program embodies this commitment and recognizes some of the most compelling leaders working in their fields today, leaders who will guide us into a new age of exploration.”
On May 26, 2012, Wasfia became the second Bangladeshi woman to scale the world’s highest peak. Before her, Nishat Mazumder had conquered Mount Everest.
Wasfia was the first Bangladeshi to scale the seven summits, concluding her climbs last year. In 2014, she was selected as a National Geographic Adventurer.
- Most viewed
- Nusraat Faria goes bold on costume; sparks off protests on social media
- Melania Trump's pricey jacket draws attention in Sicily
- Raid at Savar ‘militant dens’: 7 grenades, 3 suicide vests found
- NASA’s Juno probe forces ‘rethink’ on Jupiter
- Nokia 9: Dual rear cameras leaked in new images, 8GB RAM, and more
- Oil prices rally after heavy sell-off
- Blast heard as cops resume operation at Savar ‘militant dens’
- Indian aid arrives as Sri Lanka monsoon toll hits 100
- Ramadan begins tomorrow
- Cannes 2017: Aishwarya unleashes glamour in red gown
- Rumana Monzur graduates from law school
- Banani rape: Cops allowed for forensic test on mobiles of Shafat, Sakif
- 'Unplanned Tourism Effects Biodiversity of Cox’s Bazar'
- Death toll in Manchester blast rises to 22
- 19 killed in terror blast at UK pop concert
- PM accorded warm reception in Saudi Arabia
- New Zealand space launch has nation reaching for the stars
- 21 May Deaths