Refreshing and zingy pudina water can set almost everything right
Published : 15 Mar 2019, 18:06
Pudina pani (mint water) used in pani puri is a good digestive and has other health benefits as well.
Certainly, hygiene and quality of ingredients is a must. Homemade pudina water is always better than that we get in restaurants/ hawkers’ stalls or through ready to make packs. When you are making it at home, you can always be sure of the quality of the ingredients and the hygiene. Outside pudina water may contain artificial sweetness, artificial colours and other unhealthy ingredients that may pose a serious threat to your health.
Also, when you are making it at home, you can always be sure about the quantity of the ingredients that you are using. And you also can control how much of sugar, salt and tamarind chutney to be put in to it. When you consume it outside, the quality and quantity of the ingredients cannot be found. You just go by the taste and presentation.
They may be using unhealthy ingredients, such as, salt and sugar more just to make its taste a little bit better to make sure that customers keep coming back. Second, is the value for money. A glass of pudina water at home barely costs anything at all, however, outside you pay a lot more than you could have to sitting at home. And in restaurants, the added service tax and all other taxes do not really help.
Panipuri is quite a famous street food in India. Pudina water is a must to be filled in to them. There might be little changes in its textures and mixtures in different regions, but one thing that remains constant is its delectable taste. It is easy to prepare at home.
How to make pudina water at home: Just buy a few bunches of pudina say 500 grams. Separate the leaves from its stems. Wash them thoroughly. Grind them to a fine paste using a food processor and adding in to it two teaspoons of cumin seeds, a pinch of hing powder, five to six green chillies, fresh juice of three lemons and three teaspoons of sugar.
You can add little water to grind it with ease. Strain this paste using a strainer and throw the residue. Now add three to four glasses of water, black salt, white salt, one teaspoon of cumin seed powder, one teaspoon of pudina powder and five teaspoons of tamarind chutney in to it. Mix well. Your pudina water is ready.
How to make tamarind chutney: Wash and soak 100 grams of whole dry tamarind in six cups of water for two hours. Pressure cook it along with the same water for 30 minutes on low flame. Let it get cool at room temperature. Grind it to a fine paste in a food processor. Sieve it and throw the residue. Add two cups of sugar, two teaspoons of salt, one teaspoon of black salt, two teaspoons of red chilli powder, one teaspoon of garam masala, two teaspoons of cumin seed powder. Mix well. It is ready.
Benefits of pudina pani/mint water:
· Mint water has antiseptic and anti-bacterial properties that can work wonders for almost all digestive woes and also soothes an upset stomach.
· The strong and refreshing aroma of mint water can ease headaches and nausea.
· It helps irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Menthol present in this water helps prevent gastric ulcers.
· The refreshing aroma of this water relaxes and regenerates your mind and helps in relaxing stress and depression. It also releases small amount of happy hormone ‘serotonin’ in the brain which again helps in beating depression.
· It can help ease symptoms of morning sickness.
· Having anti-bacterial properties, mint water detoxifies the body and helps giving you a radiant and beautiful skin.
· Pudina pani is rich in anti-inflammatory properties. This makes it a good relaxant and helps release congestion. A moderate consumption can treat asthma and common cold. Lemon and mint, both the ingredients in this water will help clean congestion of the nose, throat, bronchi and lungs. They also help relive chronic coughing.
· Due to the presence of germicidal properties, mint water inhabits bacterial growth inside the mouth. It combats bad breath and helps freshen it up.
· If sugar and tamarind chutney is not added to it, this tangy water can aid weight loss. The digestive enzymes present in this water help facilitate better absorption of nutrients from food and thus better metabolism. A faster metabolism also aids weight loss. Honey and lemon juice are healthy alternatives to be added.
· Consuming mint water benefits alertness of mind, retention of memory and better cognitive functions.
This summer do not miss out mint water. You may add honey instead of sugar and more lemon juice instead of tamarind to make it a healthier drink. Of course, the taste will not be the same. Pudina water is packed with a number of health benefits that make it more than just a refreshing, zingy and delightful beverage. Certainly, it reveals promising natural treatments. However do not overdo it. Else it may cause trouble to you.
- Most viewed