Today is Christmas
Published : 25 Dec 2017, 13:21
The Christian community of the country will celebrate Christmas on Monday as elsewhere across the world, commemorating the birth of Jesus Christ.
Christmas, the biggest religious festival of the Christian community, is the celebration of rebirth, new beginning, forgiveness and peace, and renewing relationship with God and human beings.
Decoration of Christmas trees with colourful lights, special prayers, and distribution of gifts among children and exchange of pleasantries are the main features of the day’s festivities.
Christmas carols and hymns will be sung before and after the prayer sessions at the churches.
President Abdul Hamid and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina issued separate messages on the eve of the day.
In his message, President Hamid said Bangladesh is a country of communal harmony where people are tied with the bond of love and friendship.
He called upon all to work together to build a happy, prosperous and non-communal Bangladesh.
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, in her message, said Bangladesh is a country of communal harmony where people of all religions enjoy full freedom of practicing their respective religious rituals.
She hoped that Christmas will further strengthen the relations between the Christians and the people of other communities.
President Abdul Hamid will exchange greetings with members of the Christian community at Bangabhaban on the occasion of Christmas Day.
Archbishop of Bangladesh Patrick D Rozario, ambassadors and representatives from different foreign missions,distinguished persons of the Christian community, religious leaders and professionals will join the reception.
A group of singers will perform the Christmas carol at the reception.
Later, President Abdul Hamid will cut a Christmas cake with members of the Christian community.
Bangladesh Television and Bangladesh Betar and different private TV channels and radio stations will air special programmes highlighting the significance of the day.
- Most viewed
- Get hands on healthy food this yoga day
- New Zealand PM gives birth to baby girl
- SC Order on Khaleda's bail in 2 cases July 5
- Tonu Killing: CID to get suspects’ DNA reports next week
- ‘Amar Sonar Bangla’ now in Belarusian language
- New laws must to tackle online violence against women, girls: UN
- UK's May defeats Brexit rebels, but divisions still reign
- Keep it up, PM to women cricketers
- 21 June Births
- AL announced a reception on July 21 for PM
- 68.5m people displaced worldwide: UN
- Chicago lawyers walk in heels to end sexual assault
- World's oldest Sumatran orangutan Puan died
- Your kids’ obesity may up knee, hip osteoarthritis risk later
- Law coming to ensure death sentence for patrons of drug traders: PM
- Prime Minister meets President
- 99 lakh jobs by 2020: Prime Minister
- Rohingya girls dream of school