Sharapova crashes out in Qatar Open first round
Published : 13 Feb 2018, 16:03
Five-time Grand Slam winner Maria Sharapova suffered a shock defeat in the first round of the Qatar Open on Monday, dumped out in three sets by outsider, Monica Niculescu.
The Romanian ranked number 92 in the world, 51 places behind the Russian, won 4-6, 6-4, 6-3.
In a match lasting more than two and a half hours, Sharapova hit 52 unforced errors as opposed to just 17 from Niculescu.
And she could also convert only six of 15 break points.
The former world number one, twice a winner in Doha, had been given a wildcard into the draw and was one the tournament's major attractions.
"I did a good job of winning the longer rallies, even though that's not really what I wanted to get myself into," said Sharapova afterwards.
"So, physically I felt good. I just got pretty passive in the end and start making too many errors."
It was the 30-year-old's first appearance in Doha since 2013 and her first match since losing to Angelique Kerber in the third round of the Australian Open last month.
- Most viewed
- Four amaging Quotes of Sridevi
- Sridevi filmography
- Bollywood actor Sridevi passes away
- Choose sugar free fruit juice prudently
- Sipping red wine may ward off your gum disease
- Friendship with Kardashian ‘one-sided’, feels Jennifer Lawrence
- Fans can’t believe how much Priyanka looks like US model
- Special project plans to empower women in ICT sector
- Youth jailed for sexually harassing Rajshahi SSC examinee
- Open Access Movement for Open Data, Education and Research
- Khaleda can’t run polls in present context: CEC
- Housewife hacked to death in Sylhet, 2 held
- Nation set to pay homage to language martyrs
- Trump blasts Oprah
- Keep every child alive, says Unicef
- Emma donates 1 million pounds for victims of sexual harassment
- 21 eminent citizens receive Ekushey Padak
- Maintain distinctive characters of Bangla: PM